Saturday, September 26, 2009

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959)


Attack of the Giant Leeches definitely can be classified as a classic horror movie, complete with bad acting and even worse special effects and costume designs. The plot is pretty stereotypical of the time period (1959) and goes from mysterious deaths and disappearances around the vicinity of a swamp in the Everglades. To the dismay of the townspeople, they realize that they have become the captives of giant leeches which seek to suck the lifeblood from every single one of their victims. They end up blowing up the swamp and destroying several giant leeches that float to the surface after the smoke has cleared. But is that really all of them?
I have a soft spot in my heart for these kind of classic old movies, not only because they paved the way for the later classic horror movies that I love, but because I'm sure if I had watched this when in came out in 1959, I would have made a mess in my pants. Nobody wants to encounter regular leeches, let alone giant leeches! Some people don't know how I put up with the terrible acting and the less than par special effects, but really it's all part of the experience. Film directors from this time period didn't have very much to work with in terms of the technology that we take for granted today, and I think that they did an excellent job with what they had at their disposal. For the sake of the general public, Attack of the Giant Leeches gets 2.5/5 solely because I have a feeling that nobody else would enjoy watching it except for me. However, if you are a fan of this period in film, definitely check this one out, along with other "creature" movies, like The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment